What is Baptism?
Baptism is a way of showing others that you have entered into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. You are submerged under water to symbolize what took place in your heart at the time of salvation:
- You accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
- You shared in his death and resurrection, illustrated by going under the water (dead to your old life), then rising again (new life).
- You were symbolically washed clean, and your sins were forgiven by his death on the cross.
Who should be Baptized?
Baptism is a public demonstration of one’s decision to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, and as such, should be reserved for those who have full understanding of what salvation is and what baptism represents.
For this reason, we encourage parents to discern when their child is at an appropriate age of understanding to make this decision on their own.
Infant Baptism: We do not perform infant baptism* because we understand Scripture to teach that only professing believers qualify for Baptism. Baptism does not make you a believer; rather, it shows that you already believe. *If you are interested in infant dedications, contact us at email@example.com
Why are we Baptized?
Following the example of Jesus:
Jesus himself was baptized. He was not a sinner, yet he humbled himself in obedience to identify with us and give us an example to follow.
In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. And when he came up out of the water, immediately he saw the heavens being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, "You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased." --Mark 1:9-11 (ESV)
An Act of Obedience:
Water baptism is an act of faith and obedience to the commands of Christ.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."
--Matthew 28:19-20 (ESV)
A Public Declaration
Baptism declares that you are a follower of Jesus Christ. It is a public confession of your faith in, and commitment to, Jesus Christ. It is the next step after salvation through repentance and faith and is an important foundation for the Christian life.
"Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned." --Mark 16:16 ESV
What is the process at Adventure Church?
- If you think baptism is the next step for you, take 30 minutes and listen to BJ’s talk. He answers the questions we are most often asked about baptism.
- Complete the Baptism Application. Once we receive your application, we will contact you to schedule your videotaping and baptism.
- Read about making your video. We want you to be as comfortable and prepared for the video as possible.
- Attend a meeting and film your testimony.
- Get baptized! Baptisms take place during one of the Sunday services and include a showing of your prerecorded video prior to your baptism.
Check out our gallery of baptism videos!